Cycle-Smart Blog

Only as good as your last result

At the end of every UCI 'cross season, I think every US rider (and probably every rider globally) looks at the UCI rankings to see where they finished up. For the US riders who end their season at nationals, we'll gradually drift down a few more spots until the last race at the end of February, but generally, where you are now is where you'll end up. The UCI has ranking archives all the way back to the 2008/2009 season. For me, that starts when my racing age was 37, and goes up until this year, with a racing age of 43. I like to look back at all of them, as a way to see how my results and career have arced over that period.

The data is below, in full, and you can get a sense of it at a glance. Every UCI-point earning result is listed. Some years I had more results than allowable points (only 5 C2s and 6 C1s count). 2010/11, at age 39, was clearly my best year, when I won 2 races, won the Verge Series overall, was on the podium often, and lined up on the front row, in 8th spot, at nationals.

In 2011, the podiums turned into top 10s. In 2012, the top 10s turned into top 20s, and I barely scored any points. It was the worst 'cross season I'd had since 2004, when the Transitions documentary was made, and I thought I was retiring at the end of the season. And with a racing age of 41, of course, you have to ask yourself, "is this it?" I trained a LOT for the 'cross season that year, did a ton of base in August, but just never got sharp. I trained myself into a hole I never climbed out of.

In 2013 I made some changes, pulled up on my road season early for base again but made sure I did a lot more interval work, and I had a season I was happy with, on par with 2011. To see improvement again with a racing age of 42 was very satisfying, and I felt like it was still worth my effort to be out there.

This year, eh. Back to 2012 levels, but for different reasons. I had one of the best road seasons of my career, again unexpectedly, at age 42. I don't have the snap I did 20 years ago, but I was as strong as ever, my driving was good, I can read races like Uri Geller bends spoons. Getting 4th in the NCC got me and my supporters excited about what was possible for the 'cross season. Unfortunately, it went just the opposite. Holding that high level of form for as long as I did meant I was going to have to come down and pay it back at some point. I was still racing road and traveling well into September, interrupting the specific 'cross training I normally do. I showed up at Gloucester exhausted already, with a bad back, a position I wasn't adapted to, uncomfortable drifting in turns after a summer of being stuck to the pavement. For sure, nationals moving to January has made it harder to do a full road and 'cross season together like I have for most of my career. I no longer believe it's possible to do both at 100%.

This season it took me until December to finally turn things around. The training camp I did in Athens, GA before Christmas was the window where my body finally came around. My back and muscle imbalances finally evened out, I was able to correct my position on the bike accordingly, I did a ton of motorpacing and singletrack riding on my 'cross bike, and I ran a lot more than normal leading up to nationals. At Kingsport, the field wasn't very deep, but it was good at the front, and I beat riders who'd been putting minutes on me all fall. Most importantly, my sensations were good. I felt like I was racing. I attacked, I pulled, I won the sprint from my group. I felt ready for nationals.

In the single speed race at nationals, I did get a little nervous. Lindine rode me off his wheel accelerating out of turns in the first 2 minutes of the race. By the time we hit the pit on lap 1, he gapped me for good, and we were riding the same 40 x 17 gear. One thing I didn't do effectively this fall when things weren't going well was to diet. Racing 'cross at 158 lbs instead of 152 lbs is a big, big difference, but the motivation to diet when you're riding badly and don't feel strong is rarely there. I need to feel good and be finishing my training, making good numbers, before I can find the motivation to control my calories on top of it. That 5+ pounds shows up out of every corner, up every hill, and across every soft piece of ground. And it showed up for sure in the single speed race, when I was completely bogged down out of turns and up the off-cambers. Eventually, I got dropped from the group racing for 2nd place, on lap 3. That was a bummer.

On Monday's elite race, I had so little pressure, and my legs still felt good. My only goal was to finish on the lead lap, race the course and not the other riders, and be as thoughtful and creative on what was now a muddy, tricky course with a lot of pedaling, but also, a lot of running, and a lot of thinking. I got a great start and immediately started riding my own race. I took big, wide lines around turns, I managed to ride some of the off-cambers u-turns that then allowed me to ride a section after instead of run, and used my bike as a scooter to coast whenever possible. I talked to Sam O'Keefe after his collegiate race, and he said he remounted at the top of the off-cambers, coasted down into the turn, and ran the uphills. That tactic worked perfectly on Monday, too. Riders would be running downhill around me while I was gently drifting down an off-camber, resting while they ran.

All of that got me 22nd at nationals, a result I honestly could not be happier with. I was back racing with my peers, I was close enough to the front to feel like I deserved to be there, and I was not embarrassed by how I was riding. I didn't feel like an old man holding on to something, I felt like a pro bike racer still in the bell curve of competitiveness. It was a relief, and even if I'm generally unhappy with my season, I was happy to finish it on a positive note.

That said, the measure of my season isn't just my results. I met a lot of great people this fall. I worked with some new sponsors and created some exciting opportunities for the future. I coached some amazing riders, watched the coaches that work for me have success with their riders, shook hands with people in parking lots, took pictures with fans, did meet and greets, ran camps and clinics, and just generally felt like I gave 'cross more than I took from it. Those interactions make up for bad days on the bike, and even when I have bad days on the bike, it's good to remember that there's very little as thrilling as ripping a turn on a 'cross bike. I can't believe I've been able to do it for as long as I have. And I'm excited about finally winding it down some, being selective about where my energy goes, and making sure it always feels positive.

There are a lot of thank yous to send out, but that's a different blog entry. Back to the data, and one interesting side note: 2008/09 was the last year I was on the UCI 'Cross Commission, and was using those free trips to Europe to stay for some racing, including World Cups, where I finished on the lead lap in Tabor and scored a lot of points, points which you keep. If you REALLY want to sandbag UCI points, the best strategy honestly is to go to Europe and try to finish World Cups in the top 50. Funny to think about.

Here's the summary:

2014/15: 27 points, 301st

2013/14: 53 points, 198th

2012/13: 18 points, 344th

2011/12: 63 points, 165th

2010/11: 170 points, 77th

2009/10: 86 points, 132nd

2008/09: 68 points, 146th

And here's the list:

Ranking - Cyclo Cross 2014/2015

Men  Elite  UCI Ranking  Individual

Adam MYERSON (United States)

Current rank: 301
Current points: 27
UCI Code: USA19720509
Age: 43
Date Event Rank Result PaR PcR Class
03 Jan 2015 Kingsport Cyclo-cross Cup 4   15 15 C2
01 Nov 2014 The Cycle-Smart International 6   8 8 C2
06 Sep 2014 Nittany Lion Cross 8   4 4 C2

Ranking - Cyclo Cross 2013/2014

Men  Elite  UCI Ranking  Individual

Adam MYERSON (United States)

Current rank: 198
Current points: 53
UCI Code: USA19720509
Age: 42
Date Event Rank Result PaR PcR Class
05 Jan 2014 Kingsport Cyclo-cross Cup 3   20 20 C2
08 Sep 2013 Nittany Lion Cross 4   15 15 C2
08 Dec 2013 NEPCX #8 - NBX Gran Prix of Cross 7   6 6 C2
02 Nov 2013 NEPCX #5 - The Cycle-Smart International 7   6 6 C2
07 Sep 2013 Nittany Lion Cross 7   6 6 C2
07 Dec 2013 NEPCX #7 - NBX Gran Prix of Cross 10   1 0** C2
30 Nov 2013 Baystate Cyclo-cross 9   2 0** C2

Ranking - Cyclo Cross 2012/2013

Men  Elite  UCI Ranking  Individual

Adam MYERSON (United States)

Current rank: 344
Current points: 18
UCI Code: USA19720509
Age: 41
Date Event Rank Result PaR PcR Class
15 Dec 2012 North Carolina Grand Prix 6   8 8 C2
16 Dec 2012 North Carolina Grand Prix 8   4 4 C2
09 Dec 2012 Super Cross Cup 8   4 4 C2
24 Nov 2012 New England Cyclo-Cross Series #5 - Baystate Cyclo-cross 9   2 2 C2

Ranking - Cyclo Cross 2011/2012

Men  Elite  UCI Ranking  Individual

Adam MYERSON (United States)

Current rank: 165
Current points: 63
UCI Code: USA19720509
Age: 40
Date Event Rank Result PaR PcR Class
10 Dec 2011 Kingsport Cyclo-cross Cup 3   20 20 C2
27 Nov 2011 New England Championship Series #10 - Baystate Cyclo-cross 4   15 15 C2
20 Nov 2011 North Carolina Grand Prix 6   8 8 C2
06 Nov 2011 New England Championship Series #9 - The Cycle-Smart International 6   8 8 C2
08 Oct 2011 New England Championship Series #5 - Providence Cyclo-cross 12   6 6 C1
05 Nov 2011 New England Championship Series #8 - The Cycle-Smart International 7   6 6 C2
29 Oct 2011 Beacon Cross 10   1 0** C2
23 Oct 2011 New England Championship Series #7 - Downeast Cyclo-cross 10   1 0** C2
15 Oct 2011 Granogue Cross 10   1 0** C2
04 Dec 2011 New England Championship Series #12 - NBX GP 9   2 0** C2
19 Nov 2011 North Carolina Grand Prix 9   2 0** C2
24 Sep 2011 New England Championship Series #2 - The Nor Easter Cyclo-cross presented by Cycle-smar 8   4 0** C2
01 Jan 2012 Chicago Cyclocross Cup New Year's Resolution 7   6 0** C2
31 Dec 2011 Chicago Cyclocross Cup New Year's Resolution 7   6 0** C2
03 Dec 2011 New England Championship Series #11 - NBX GP 7   6 0** C2
30 Oct 2011 HPCX 7   6 0** C2

Ranking - Cyclo Cross 2010/2011

Men  Elite  UCI Ranking  Individual

Adam MYERSON (United States)

Current rank: 77
Current points: 170
UCI Code: USA19720509
Age: 39
Date Event Rank Result PaR PcR Class
04 Dec 2010 New England Championship Series #9 - NBX GP 1   40 40 C2
24 Oct 2010 New England Championship Series #4 - Downeast Cyclo-cross 1   40 40 C2
05 Dec 2010 New England Championship Series #10 - NBX GP 2   30 30 C2
07 Nov 2010 New England Championship Series #6 - The Cycle-Smart International 2   30 30 C2
11 Sep 2010 Nittany Lion Cross 2   30 30 C2
09 Oct 2010 Providence Cyclo-cross 9   2 0** C2
19 Sep 2010 New England Championship Series #2 - Catamount Grand Prix 9   2 0** C2
18 Sep 2010 New England Championship Series #1 - Schoolhouse Cyclo-cross 8   4 0** C2
23 Oct 2010 New England Championship Series #3 - Downeast Cyclo-cross 7   6 0** C2
30 Oct 2010 Beacon Cross 6   8 0** C2
06 Nov 2010 New England Championship Series #5 - The Cycle-Smart International 4   15 0** C2
17 Oct 2010 Granogue Cross 4   15 0** C2
25 Sep 2010 The Nor Easter Cyclo-cross at Loon Mountain 4   15 0** C2
15 Jan 2011 Kingsport Cyclo-cross Cup 3   20 0** C2
28 Nov 2010 New England Championship Series #8 - Baystate Cyclo-cross 3   20 0** C2
27 Nov 2010 New England Championship Series #7 - Baystate Cyclo-cross 3   20 0** C2
31 Oct 2010 HPCX 2   30 0** C2

Ranking - Cyclo Cross 2009/2010 2008/2009

Men  Elite  UCI Ranking  Individual

Adam MYERSON (United States)

Current rank:  132
Current points:  86
UCI Code:  USA19720509
Age:  38
Date Event Rank Result PaR PcR Class
05 Dec 2009 New England Championship Series #13 - NBX Grand Prix of Cross 2 1:02:19 20 20 C2
19 Sep 2009 Nittany Lion Cross 2 58:29 20 20 C2
06 Dec 2009 New England Championship Series #14 - NBX Grand Prix of Cross 3 1:01:27 15 15 C2
01 Nov 2009 HPCX 3 1:02:54 15 15 C2
20 Sep 2009 Charm City Cross 3 57:49 15 15 C2
14 Nov 2009 USGP of Cyclocross #5 - Mercer Cup 15 1:06:40 1 1 C1
07 Nov 2009 New England Championship Series #9 - The Cycle-Smart International 10 58:13 1 0** C2
27 Sep 2009 New England Championship Series #2 - Catamount Grand Prix 10 1:05:57 1 0** C2
25 Oct 2009 New England Championship Series #8 - Downeast Cyclocross 9 1:00:06 2 0** C2
17 Oct 2009 Granogue Cross 9 1:05:50 2 0** C2
28 Nov 2009 New England Championship Series #11 - Baystate Cyclocross 8 57:52 4 0** C2
18 Oct 2009 Wissahickon Cross 7 59:58 6 0** C2
29 Nov 2009 New England Championship Series #12 - Baystate Cyclocross 6 1:00:25 8 0** C2
24 Oct 2009 New England Championship Series #7 - Downeast Cyclocross 6 57:55 8 0** C2
31 Oct 2009 Beacon Cross 4 57:38 12 0** C2

Ranking - Cyclo Cross 2008/2009 2009/2010

Men  Elite  UCI Ranking  Individual

Final result

Adam MYERSON (United States)

Current rank:  146
Current points:  68
UCI Code:  USA19720509
Age:  37
Date Event Rank Result PaR PcR Class
06 Dec 2008 New England Championship Series #8 - NBX Grand Prix 3 1:01:08 15 15 C2
26 Oct 2008 UCI World Cup #2 - Tabor 46 1:10:25 14 14 CDM
07 Dec 2008 New England Championship Series #9 - NBX Grand Prix 4 59:27 12 12 C2
29 Nov 2008 New England Championship Series #7 - Baystate Cyclocross 5 57:22 10 10 C2
01 Nov 2008 New England Championship Series #5 - The Cycle-Smart International 7 1:01:28 6 6 C2
19 Oct 2008 UCI World Cup #1 - Vlaamse Industrieprijs Bosduin 51   5 5 CDM
23 Nov 2008 North American Cyclocross Trophy #8 - Whitmore's Landscaping Super Cross Cup 14 1:00:50 2 2 C1
22 Nov 2008 North American Cyclocross Trophy #7 - Whitmore's Landscaping Super Cross Cup 14 1:05:58 2 2 C1
11 Oct 2008 New England Championship Series #3 - Gran Prix of Gloucester 9 1:06:52 2 2 C2
02 Nov 2008 New England Championship Series #6 - The Cycle-Smart International 10 1:03:19 1 0** C2
12 Oct 2008 North American Cyclocross Trophy #4 - Gran Prix of Gloucester 10 59:37 1 0** C2
27 Sep 2008 New England Championship Series #1 - Schoolhouse Cyclocross 10 1:01:21 1 0** C2
20 Sep 2008 Nittany Lion Cross 10 1:05:24 1 0** C2

Don't call it a come back

It's been a while since I've posted here, and I shouldn't make any promises that I'll start doing so again regularly, but every now and then something pops up that deserves more than 140 characters or a Facebook post.

I got a question via email today that I realized would be useful for lots of folks, and so decided I wanted to share it here as well. Enjoy.

Hey Adam,
Congrats on finishing your road season in style this year.
A couple of years ago you were ready to hang it up "not a single UCI point this season..." etc.  There was a video interview of you wondering if you were too old, and speculating about retiring.  Then you found a way to have two (and more, I hope) great cross and road seasons and I kept waiting for you to write something about it.
Please do - did you change something big, or many small things, did you change nothing and stay the course...?
I think most of us (your fans) who are over 40 have that same nagging worry every time we have a bad day or a bad few months, "am I just too old?"
You know what you're talking about and you know how to write - so hey, share the story!
Good luck on the knobby tires this year.
My response:
I’m not sure how to answer this quickly, but I’ll try. Basically, it’s an effect of what’s happening off the bike, more than what’s happening on, though of course everything is related.
2010 was definitely my best ‘cross season. I did some things differently in the winter; lived by myself in Tucson, spent 2 months destroying training, spending time alone, not getting sick, and had a great first 1/2 of the road season. Then I broke my wrist in July, had 4 weeks off from racing and a huge August for training. That allowed me to come into ‘cross fresher than normal, and really fit.
That was also the year Jittery Joe’s didn’t pay their sponsorship, the team nearly folded, and I took over completely as the manager to save the team. So that extra work in 2011, 12, and 13, really took its toll on me. We hired better riders, I moved fully into a support role, and was spending countless hours running the team from my desk. Training less, sleeping less, stressing more. And so it put a ceiling on my form. Podiums in ‘cross in 2010 turned into top 10s in 2011, and top 20s in 2012. In 2013 I got on top of that stress, partially with the team, but also in my personal life and my relationship. When that turned the corner, stress turned to happiness, and what was a drain became a boon. So last year my ‘cross results were back at that 2011 level of top 10s. I also lost 13 lbs over August and September last year, and that was huge.
This year I didn’t have to manage the team. That created some new stress, but the net was that I got my life back, my business is going well, and my relationship is going well. So I did all the training, reached a level of form I haven’t seen in a few years, was free to race for myself, and was able to hold that level all year long. Whether that continues in ‘cross is hard to say. Things are busy now, my road season pushed into September more than normal, and I haven’t been able to do all the specific training and dieting I wanted to. I don’t know how good I’ll be in the early season this year.
Summary is, I know exactly what you mean. When you’re over 40, every bad day is like the sign of the apocalypse. I did not expect to get back to this level and see improvement again at 42. And to be sure, this isn’t the best I’ve ever been, it’s just back to my best. But to be as good at 42 as I was at 32 an even at 22 is nothing I would have believed possible until I actually did it. So the key is not to even think about how old you are. I don’t, at all. The only difference I see is that I don’t have the same peak power as I did back then, and so I can’t come around the top sprinters out of the last corner. I go through in the top 5, but when we all stand up to sprint, they accelerate away from me. Otherwise, it’s not your age. It’s the stress and responsibilities that come with being your age. My wife is 30, we don’t have kids, she has a great job, we like each other a lot. I don’t set an alarm clock, I take naps, and my commute to my office is through my kitchen. So these things contribute to letting me race at a high level. If I worked elsewhere and had kids and got less sleep, then I’d have additional challenges, and my level would look more like that of a “normal master.” Or if I didn’t also have to run a business on the side while being a pro, maybe my level would be even higher than it is. Either way, the game you play with it is the same. Manage your stress, be happy, skip some racing or travel for good training or extra sleep, and aim for overall health and well being. The good form should flow from there. I used to always say to clients that every year you don’t get worse after 40 is technically an improvement. But clearly, improvement over 40 is still possible, too, if there are changes you can make in your personal life that will impact it.
Hope that helps.

On Tucson

I went to Tucson to train for the first time in 1994. That hit me a few weeks into my trip this year; it had been 20 years since my first winter there. Since then I've been a snowbird in a lot of other places: Gainesville, Tallahassee, Orlando, Tampa, Austin, Athens, San Diego, Winston-Salem. But eventually, once I was a full-time rider again (and single), I started going back to Tucson every year. Of all the factors (weather, terrain, riding safety/accommodations, community), Tucson may not be perfect in any one area, but it has the highest overall score. This winter, I had the best 2 months of training I've had in my career, on par with only one other year, from 2010. I did 80 hours of training in February, and 93 hours in March. I'm certain I could not have accomplished this, and stayed sane, in any other place.
There was a lot of national controversy while I was there this year regarding potential anti-gay legislation passed by the state government. A few years ago, a similar situation came up with SB 1070, the anti-immigration law, and HB 2281, which more or less banned Ethnic Studies in Arizona public schools. When those previous issues came up in 2010, I had to think hard about why I was going to Arizona, and why I was giving the state my money. And again this year while I was there, some friends asked the same question. “Why do so many pro cyclists go there in the winter?” The context being, “when the politics there are so terrible.” The answer, of course, is Tucson.
On my flight home this year, I continued to dwell on this question, like I had on so many of the solo 6-hour rides I'd done over the past two months. Tucson is the reason (with apologies to Danzig).
Why Tucson? Because of Mount Lemmon, Madera Canyon, Box Canyon, Kitt Peak, Gates Pass, Sonoita, Arivaca, Park Link Drive, the Shootout, and the Loop.
Because of Saguaro National Park, Coronado National Forest, and the Tucson, Catalina, Rincon, and Santa Rita Mountains.
Because of El Groupo, Bicas, and Tucson Velo. Because of bike lanes, bike paths, and ghost bikes that stay up when it goes badly.
Because of great local racing like the Old Pueblo Grand Prix and the Tucson Bicycle Classic. I wish there were more races like them in Arizona.
Because of the Pascua Yaqui and  Tohono O'odham, the latter of which allowed me to look across at a distinct peak the first time I rode Kitt, wonder what it was, and get an answer. Because of Baboquivari Peak, home of the creator god, I'itoi, who lives in a cave below the base of the mountain, and explains the “man in the maze” logo you see regularly. Because everywhere you stand (or ride), someone stood before you.
Because of Tuscon weather, with its 350 days of sunshine per year (the highest in the US), and 1 inch of rain per month in the winter when I'm there. But also, because of things like the UA Center for Climate Adaptation that studies and teaches how to live correctly in the desert. Tucson is not Phoenix, Las Vegas, or LA. Because my wife can fly here in an afternoon, and be hiking with me in a bikini top the next day.
Because of  Stella Java, Exo, Caffé Lucé, Epic, Sparkroot, Cartel, Le Cave's, Estrellas, Tap and Bottle, 1702, Che's, The Buffet, 4th Ave, University, Congress, and Broadway.
Because of guys from the rides like Conor O'Brien, Matteo Dal-Cyn, Zach Heskett, Eddy Kwon, Josh Berry, Todd Wells, Travis McCabe, Miguel Folch, Paul Thomas, and Ben Hoffman. Because of old teammates and friends I got to do some miles with like Isaac Howe, Morgan Patton, Clay Murfet, Chris Uberti, Stephen Hyde, and Andy Baker, and acquaintances I got to know better like the Mullerveys and Derek Ivey.
Because of locals who make the scene here happen on and off the bike, in and out of racing, like Gord Fraser, David Glick, Tim Carolan, Rob Alvarez, Joey Iuliano, Kathryn Bertine, Damion Alexander, Daniela Diamenta and Ignacio Rivera, Colin Holmes and Monique Laraway, Susan Frank and Kurt Rosenquist.
Because of old friends like Kyle and Mel Colavito, Vic Riquelme, Curtis Zimmerman, Eugene Boronow, Melissa Sotelo, and new friends like Liz Schmitt, Max Rich, and Kim Lucie.
Because of my “landlord” Dan Stein, who opened his 2-bedroom apartment in Iron Horse to me, and was the perfect housemate. Because being able to walk to downtown, 4th Ave, and University from home was amazing. Thanks for reminding me that it's ok to take it slow once in a while, and introducing me to Broad City.
Above and beyond, because of Kim Truitt, the best friend anyone could ask for. She was my taxi service, my study partner, my drinking buddy, my feed zone help, recovery ride company, comic relief, conversation partner, and therapist. I could not have accomplished all the training I did in Tucson, or stay sane doing it, without her friendship and support. And she is from Tucson.
So when you're reading all the national news about the weird politics in Arizona and wondering why I go back every year, you should know that Tucson is also Arizona, and Arizona includes Tucson, even if Tucson's signal sometimes gets drowned out. The riding is amazing, the weather is amazing, and most importantly, the people are amazing. They're as puzzled by the politics in Phoenix as you are. And they have their own thing going on.
Love you, Dirty T.

October 'Cross Season Update

Sponsors and friends,

Welcome to a long overdue update on the 2013/14 SmartStop/Mountain Khakis 'cross season. We're 6 weeks and 1/3 of the way into the year, so there's a lot recap, and I'll do my best to keep things brief!

Things were incredibly busy for the road team in August as we built towards Tour of Alberta and the final NCC and USA Crits events of the season. The heavy lifting for the 'cross season happens in that same window, and as in past years, Pat and Jamie turn the 'cross season planning over to me. There was so much work to do, with very little time to talk about it. This season, instead of only me flying the team colors for the fall, Travis Livermon is joining me out there in the mud. It's great to have two us representing the team, but it also means twice as much commitment for the equipment sponsors. We're lucky to have so many of you returning and stepping up to keep us both going. With the switch over to Ridley disc brake bikes for both of us, as well as SRAM Force 22, there was a lot of retooling to do for this year, for Mercury and TRP especially. In addition to SmartStop, Mountain Khakis, and Happy Tooth as title sponsors, our equipment suppliers this year include Ridley frames, Vittoria tires, Champion System clothing, Mercury wheels, SRAM Force 22 components, TRP Spyre disc brakes, Mavic shoes, Hawley-supplied EIS bars/stems/seatposts, Lazer helmets/glasses, Crank Brothers pedals, Selle San Marco saddles, Enzo's chamois cream and embrocation, ProGold lubes and cleaners, Toko gloves, and SwissStop brake pads. All in all, it's an exciting program for us. CX Magazine even did a feature on the bikes already:

For me, the 'cross season kicks off with our annual Cycle-Smart Cyclocross Camp in early August. We have 50 riders of all ability levels show up from around the country to spend the weekend with 6 Cycle-Smart coaches working on 'cross technique. It's also a great way for me to sharpen up before the hard training begins, and introduce a lot of 'cross riders to the equipment I'm riding.

The racing started in earnest for Travis and me at the Nittany Lion UCI events in Trexlertown, PA. For both of us right now, staging is a challenge. Travis is coming back from a season off due to illness, and I had a forgettable 2012, so our call up positions are much further back then either of us are accustomed to. Nittany was a success, though, with me making the front group for the first time in a long time, spending much of the race off the front, and hanging on for 7th on day 1 and 4th on day 2, making the first weekend of this season more successful than any weekend from last season. Travis took his first steps back with top 20 rides both days.

The following weekend was the opener for the Verge New England Cyclocross Series, which I organize. The Vermont round is a challenging, hilly course both days, and I came away with 12th and 17th. Not the top 10s I was hoping for, but good photo coverage on Cyclingnews nonetheless:

Interbike and 'Cross Vegas was next. The hardest part of 'Cross Vegas is not the race, but getting there, and then having to "work" the show. Add the USA Crits finals back into the mix on Thursday night, travel home all day on Friday, and the Boston Crit that Saturday, and it's a difficult week. I had a respectable ride to finish 29th, and felt great the next night in the crit riding for the team. Escaping that trip without getting sick is a victory in its own right.

Travis skipped Vegas to focus on the Charm City UCI races in Baltimore the following weekend, and his gamble paid off. Saturday he was still looking for a good ride and finished 13th, but Sunday he showed everyone why he's a guy we believe in, making the front group and narrowly missing the podium with a 4th place. That's a great result, and those points will pay off when the new rankings are posted after the first World Cup next week.

The first two Shimano Series races followed in the weeks after that at Gloucester and Providence. I'm also part of the organizing group for the Shimano Series, so these weekends see me wearing multiple hats. I do my best to focus on being "just a bike racer" when race day comes, but there's always a lot of peripheral stress to manage. 21st and 24th at Gloucester, and 33rd and 21st at Providence were again just fair results, but improvements over last season, and not without challenges. At Day 1 of Providence, I was caught in a huge pile up in the start, and rode from 80th place through almost 50 people to get that 33rd. It was one of my strongest rides in a long time, and I only wish it was for the top 10.

Crash video here:

Gloucester post-race interview here:

In between Gloucester and Providence, we have two amazing mid-week nighttime 'cross races that are part of what we call Holy Week: The Midnight Ride of Cyclocross in Lancaster, MA, and The Night Weasels Cometh, in Shrewsbury, MA. Both races have UCI-level prize lists, great courses and production, and big crowds. This year, I was excited to actually win one of them, taking the sprint from a group of five for my first victory of the season:

Midnight ride post-race interview:

Midnight Ride race video, including podium:

Night Weasels is a much hillier and taxing course, I was wary of going too hard here and not being recovered for Providence. 7th place was an ok ride with that in mind, including a few bike changes for mechanicals:

Race recap video, including Mr. Jeremy Powers as the race DJ, if you want to see what a great event this is:

With the stress of Vegas, Gloucester, and Providence finally behind us, it was time to take a break this week and try and catch my breath. I opted to recover Monday-Friday, avoid the travel, and take advantage of the great local racing New England has to offer. As a result, I ended up on the podium both days, getting 2nd at the Casco Bay 'cross in Portland, ME, on Saturday, and again at the MRC 'cross in Lancaster, MA, on Sunday.

I lost contact with Dylan McNicholas after a rare mechanical that saw me off my bike for about 30 seconds, leaving me with a gap I couldn't close, so I was happy with the ride:

I was disappointed to lose the sprint on Sunday and not get the win again after a strong race, but it was a great weekend and felt good to ride well in front of the home crowd:

Next up, Travis and I will both be at the UCI races in Rochester, NY, and after that is my weekend, the Cycle-Smart International in Northampton, MA. Today is a day for some big choices in the schedule, though, and making the call between a big road trip to the UCI events in St. Louis in between, or staying home to rest, train, and manage the stress that comes with organizing the oldest UCI event in North America.

Ideally I'll be moving these updates over to the Cycle-Smart Constant Contact account, and sending out them out on a more regular basis. Weekly would be great, if I can manage it. Thanks to all of you for the support!

2013 'Cross Camp is filling up fast!

If you missed it, 'cross camp registeration is OPEN, and there are only 18 spots left! This year we've pushed the field limit out to 50 riders, and as of today 32 people have registered. Camp will definitely fill, so don't get caught out!